Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Pope is in town - My thoughts on the Mass today

Hey, did anyone hear? The Holy Father is in town, and He held a Huge Mass in the ordinary form in Washington D.C. today. I have been watching the Pontiffs trip very closely and was impressed with the Solemn Vespers last night but was left wanting after todays Mass.

I have had the privilege to be in the presence of Pope John Paul II during world youth day's 1993 and 2000 and in 1999 when he came to St. Louis. I would like to offer my readers my feelings of participating in an overpopulated open air Mass that resembles what we saw today.

Right away I would like to point out that just watching the Mass today it seemed MUCH more respectful and a bit more reverent than the Mass' I participated at. In an open air mass the sense of reverence and sacred are lacking, partially due to the fact that we are in a stadium, that we are surrounded by thousands upon thousands - or in the case of Rome in 2000 MILLIONS of people. It is unavoidable to be distracted and the situation has turned into somewhat of a novelty, kneeling can be impaired and weather has played a factor as well.

Sight lines, distance, and noise impedes my concetration on the word and of the sacrifice. Also as pointed out today the music for the liturgy today as in most massive liturgies are not usually considered "Sacred Music".

I think large liturgical celebrations can be done respectfully and reverently but they are far and few between, the larger the crowd the worse it gets, perhaps there could be a limit set on these in the future - of course when Rome calls to ask me my opinion, you will know where I stand.

No comments: