Wednesday, March 28, 2007

World Youth Day

Ah, World Youth Day....

The first WYD I attended was in 1993 Denver CO As a Supple 10 Year old boy, in the crowd with all those people, it was interesting to say the least, but I had a great time with my Family and knowing that I was in the presence of the John Paul the Great was awesome.
Some Stand Out Memory's:

  • The last night at Mile High Stadium When the pope flew In, I was as close as anyone could get without a Press/Security Badge, Front row Center pressed against the fence. It was cool for a 10 yr old.
  • On my way back to find my parents/family after using the restroom I some how got lost in all the people, Next thing I knew a "Police" Man Grabbed me by my shoulder and started trying to lead me back to my parents- I do think I had the stub in my hand so it wasn't so hard for him- looking more closely at his badge/uniform I noticed that he was USA SECRET SERVICE. Scared the crap out of me.
I would not attend my next world youth day till the Jubilee year of 2000.

This was awesome, Mostly because of the fact that it was in the eternal city. Oddly enough I did not want to go at first and I can't honestly recall what I thought were good reasons why at this time.



Memory's
  • Since I was a bit older now, I remember having conversations with everyone everywhere, about faith, the Church, history, family.. you name it we talked about it but you truly felt the Holy Ghost come upon the whole city.
  • The Vatican, The other Basilicas/Cathedral's of Rome, Walking through the Holy Door's of Each.
  • The Heat- On the final walk to Tor Vergata The heat soared if i recall it was around 119 Degrees (F), Firetrucks spraying water on everyone.. just Unlimited free bottled water, and ambulances taking someone every 20 Min.
  • The Holy Father Speaking to us that night at Tor Vergata, People giving their hearts to their faith (Mostly)
As I am now even older I am debating whether to attend WYD 2008 In Sydney AU, Part of me that enjoyed it so much wants to go. The Traditionalist in me has some reserves about it, knowing that not everyone will give the proper respect.

Respect is a big thing for me, and the Lack of it that I find at most Novus ordo mass' today is appalling. Thats something for another Post.

Any Input is Most Graciously accepted.

Act of Hope
O my God, relying on Thy almighty power and infinite mercy and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer.

No comments: